Thursday, June 30, 2011

When A Walk Just Isn't Enough For Your Energetic Mutt!

Let's face it even I can't run my energetic dog everyday!  She wins.....she has more energy then I do. Most people will tell you I can go, go, go forever!  I run Daisy about 3-4 times a week. The days I don't have the energy to run her or days that I need a day off from running, I will walk her.  But a simple walk is not enough for her.  She will still have a ton of energy.  She will be relentless trying to play with Tigger if she is not tired. !  He is a bit less energetic to say the least. 

On my walks with Daisy I started using a backpack.  I fill this with two medium sized water bottles.  Just a little extra weight makes her work a little harder on our 30-60 minute walks.  If you decide to use a backpack for your dog then follow these guidelines:
  • Start with small water bottles for a few weeks and work slowly up to larger bottles.  Don't overload the pack!  Keep it safe they don't need a ton of weight in the pack to make them work a little harder.  Two medium sized water bottles for Daisy is perfect.  The weight may also depend on the size of the dog.  Very large dogs may be able to work up to large water bottles or more weight.
  • Keep the weight on each side of the pack even.
  • Speak to your Vet if your dog has any joint or medical problems before using a backpack.
  • Don't run with the backpack.  I only use this for walking with my dog.
  • These can be used for hiking too. 
  • Make sure the backpack fits properly and is not too tight or rubbing on the dog.  Most large pet stores carry these so you can bring your mutt to try them on in the store.  You can also purchase them at REI.
Most importantly be safe and have fun with your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment