Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fish Oils For Fido?

Most people have realized the powerful benefits of fish oils for humans.  I have taken fish oils for about the past 8 years on a regular basis.  Each morning when I take my fish oils I also give Tigger, Daisy, and Spec their fish oils.  Your mutt will get all the same benefits that you get from fish oils.  It is great for their heart, joints and inflammation.  It is also good for their skin and coat.  It will make their fur shine!  So how much should you give?  There are a few different forms you can chose from.  Several companies actually make dog varieties of fish oils.  You can also give them the human variety as long as fish oils is the only ingredient.  So read your labels carefully!  Sometimes companies will add other products to the fish oil. I would follow the recommended dose on the label if it is specifically for dogs.  I have given my mutts both the human fish oils and dog fish oil which are both basically the same thing.

  • The capsule variety is usually about 1,000 mg per capsule.  Large breeds I would give 2-3 capsules each day.  Small dogs 1 capsule each day.  I would start with the lower dose and see how your mutt tolerates it because every dog is different.  Some dogs won't eat the capsules in that case get the liquid variety.
  • Liquid can be human for dog variety.  The Vitamin Shoppe sells a Salmon Oil for dogs with a pump that is easy to squirt on your dogs food.  I have also given the human liquid variety to my dogs. I give them about 1-2 tablespoons each day. My smaller dog gets the lower dose 1 tbs and the larger ones get 2. Start with the lower dose for all dogs and see how they tolerate it.  
You will find their fur is shinny and their heart and joints will thank you through the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment