Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Does Your Dog Have What It Takes?

Lilly's first day of work at a cancer
infusion center
I was looking for a running partner last August when I was looking for a new dog.  I had recently lost my beloved dog and running partner and I was devastated.  I wanted to rescue another dog and was looking for a young dog that had potential to be a good runner.  As a volunteer at the shelter I run lots of the dogs.
One of the workers who knew me well suggested a dog that recently became available for adoption.  She had just been spayed so she was in the back and I didn't meet her yet.   He brought her out to meet me and my dogs and we met the sweetest dog we had ever met.  She was older than I wanted but once I met her it didn't matter.  I took her home and named her Lilly.  She was 6 years old and some sort of husky/retriever/ lab mix but who really knows she's simply beautiful.  So I started out running her very slow and she took to it right away.  As I got to know her I was amazed at how well behaved, sweet and an all around great dog she was.  I knew she not only had potential to be a good running partner but she had something more. With her temperament I thought she would make the perfect therapy dog.  She loves people and it seemed to be the perfect job for her.  I decided to go through the Michaels Angels Paws Therapy Training Program with her and she past with flying colors.  She now has a job and a purpose and a home with an owner that loves her and would never give her up.  Michaels Angels gives us a list of jobs that they need dogs for and we can choose what will be best for her.  

If you think your dog has the potential to give back and be a therapy dog then I highly suggest contacting Michaels Angels Paws.  They are always in need of therapy dogs to do work around the Las Vegas area.  It is a class that takes 6-weeks and meets once a week.  











No comments:

Post a Comment