Thursday, January 30, 2014

One Persons Trash Is My Treasure!

She Overcame Her Fear Of The Water!
Daisy's Adoption Intake
I was going through the medical folder that I keep for my dogs and I came across the original adoption papers for my dog Daisy.  It brought back memories of the day I adopted her.  As I flipped though the papers I realized the name and number of the person who surrendered her was on the paperwork. I never noticed this before and I had mixed feelings about this person who I don't know.  I do remember that they told me that he said he found her running on the street however when they checked her for a microchip she had one and it went back to his name.  I was angry at this person for not only lying and not admitting that he just didn't want this dog but also for giving her up in the first place.  Then the more I thought about it I realized I should be thanking this guy because he brought to me one of the best things to come into my life.  I love all my dogs and they each bring me a special joy.  I have a unique connection with Daisy that I don't have with my other two dogs.  I have some ideas why this might be but I am not sure.  I have more issues with Daisy than the other two.  She has behavioral and aggression problems. I have hired an animal behaviorist and a trainer to tell me what to do with her and her "issues".  While I have worked through some things there are still underlying problems with her that I am sure go back to her life before I came along. Working with her has been somewhat of a bonding experience for both of us. It is me trying to understand her and her trying to protect and understand me.  Another reason I have a special bond with Daisy is that we always run together and through the years we have logged hundreds of miles.  I can't say I have ever had another running partner quite like her and I am sure I never will have another one.  I don't have to worry about what time of day we run morning or night and light or dark she would not let anyone come near me.  This is good when running in the dark but can cause problems on a daily basis and is one of the issues we are still working through.  She overcame her fear of water and loves to swim and go to the lake.  It is no surprise once she overcame her fear of the water she is an amazing swimmer.  

I thought about texting a picture of Daisy to the guy who gave her up. I might say something along the lines of, "thanks for giving me this amazing creature and I hope you never got another dog and will never own another in your life".  I doubt I will do that but it would make me feel better. Daisy currently weighs about 55lbs and that is with all the walking and running we do.  She is very muscular and fit and has amazing endurance.  When I got her she was grossly skinny and undernourished.  I saw on the intake form that she was 41lbs.  I don't understand why people treat animals badly or give them up when their lifestyle no longer fits with the dog.  I can't even imagine entertaining the thought of giving up my pets.

Looks at me like I am the queen!
She is a beauty
In the end I am overjoyed that this guy gave her up and I somehow found her.  I have learned from her, loved her, had fun with her, laughed at her, played with her, cuddled with her, ran with her, and she would run to the end of the earth for me.  I only hope there are many more years with her. When people meet me and my dogs they notice the connection that Daisy and I have.  She will sit by my side and look up and me waiting for me to do whatever it is I am going to do.  She is by my side and knows my habits, my routines, and I know hers.  It is really hard to describe the connection but if you are a dog owner it is likely you know what I am describing.  The man who gave her up has no idea what he gave up and lost.  My life is better with Daisy, Tigger and Spec.
She is amazing at agility!


Not a better running partner around

Out for a great trail run!



No comments:

Post a Comment