Sunday, November 11, 2012

Running With The Dogs - A Great Way To Get In Some Miles!

Wrigley is guaranteed to make you a better runner if you
adopt him.  He is very sweet but also very strong!  
Today I followed my passion.  I went for a 9 mile run but this run was different than any other run I have ever done.  I got so much satisfaction and joy from my run today.  I planned on running with shelter dogs today.  As I was getting ready to leave, I went through my typical pre-run routine.  I got my camelback ready.  I put on a winter headband because it was a little chilly. I got my sunglasses, Garmin, IPod,  garbage bags for dog poop, and leashes.  As I was doing this my dogs were sure it was time for them to run.  They were excited jumping up and down.  I felt a pang of guilt as I walked out the door but I knew what I was doing was a good thing.  I figured I would walk them later in the day.  I went to the Nevada SPCA a local no kill animal shelter.  I decided to run 3 different dogs 3 miles each.  I wanted to select dogs that had high energy and needed to get out and run.  My first choice was King.  He is a cattle dog mix.  King is a super sweet guy with lots of energy. I can't imagine why somebody would give him up but then again I can't imagine why anyone would give up their dog.  In my opinion its for better or worse with a pet.  You keep them through the good and bad.  We ran 3 miles and he was awesome to run with.  We kept about a 9 min.  pace.  I went back and decided to run Moon for my second dog.  She is a bully mix about one year old.  She is another sweet dog with lots of energy.  She is really skinny and I am sure being in the shelter is a little stressful for her or any dog for that matter.  Moon got me through the next 3 miles which made 6 total for me.  My next choice was Wrigley.  He is a Chow/Shepard mix.  He is so lovable and beautiful.  He is also a very strong dog.  I walked him once before so I was a little apprehensive taking him for a run because he was so strong.  I choose to put a harness on him because of his strength.  Once we started running he was great.  He was the fastest of all of the dogs I ran today.  We kept a 7:30 pace for most of the 3 miles.  He could have easily kept going.   Today my 9 mile run was one of the best runs ever.   Not only did I get exercise I was able to give a little joy to some dogs that deserve a good home.  I know all three of the dogs I ran today will find a good home.  I just hope whoever does adopt them likes to run and will take them along:)  

When I cam home my dogs had to inspect me because I smell like other dogs. Its like I am cheating on them.  They must have been mad that I left to run (with leashes and all) without them.  I came home to find my protein shake empty and remnants of it on the dog bed.  I will take part of the blame for leaving it on the counter. I am not sure who did it but I have my suspicions.  Well my dogs may not have got to run today but we did go for a 2 mile walk.  And one of them got about 15 grams of protein)  


No comments:

Post a Comment