Saturday, October 6, 2012

Combining Two Passions For A Great Cause!


I have a passion for health, fitness and dogs!  I try to keep myself fit as well as my 3 dogs.  I always exercise them by either running, swimming, walking or fun games.  I sometimes try and kill two birds with one stone by getting my run in while taking my dogs.  I decided to create a run/walk group that left from an animal shelter so we could multi-task.  I figured we could get our exercise and do a good deed for a shelter  dog at the same time.  The Nevada SPCA in Las Vegas has over 300 dogs on any day.  They have many high energy dogs that could benefit from a good run or brisk walk.  I live close to the NSPCA and run on a new running trail close by so I thought why not take the pups to the trail to go for a run?  Today I went to orientation and I am so excited to get this thing going!  

We need runners so here is what you need to do it you want to help:


  • Go to the NSPCA volunteer orientation on any Saturday at 8am it is about 90 minutes and is mandatory if you want to be in the group.
  • Make sure when you go to orientation you have had your tetanus vaccine and bring verification of it.
  • Contact me at trainwithcyndee@yahoo.com so I can add you to the group email.  
It is important to understand you are there to bring a bright spot into a dogs day.  You are there to give a little joy to a dog who is in a temporary situation.  You can't save or help every dog.  You can't take every dog.  You will be the highlight of one dogs day!  It will make your exercise so much more enjoyable and rewarding.  I am hoping to do this at various times and days.  I plan to begin this program in November.  It is important to go through the orientation now and volunteer a few times before we begin the program.  It will be good to get familiar with the policies and procedures at the shelter.  

Please share this with anyone you think may be interested in joining the group.  I hope to see you out there!

To see more about the NSPCA you can go to their website at www.nevadaspca.org.  




No comments:

Post a Comment