Monday, May 14, 2012

Who knows you better than your pet?

Recently it seems like so many people I know have lost pets or have elderly pets that are in poor health.  If you read my thoughts regularly you know I have 3 dogs.  Tigger I have had since he was 3 months old and he is almost 8 years old.  Daisy I have had since she was 1 year old and she is almost 6.  Spec I got from my sister when he was about 5 and I think he is 8 or 9.  I can't imagine having to ever make the decision to put a dog down.  Having so many friends in this very situation makes me think about when it does happen to me.  I often wonder why a dogs life is so short.  They bring so much happiness to so many people I don't know why they have to be on this planet for such a short time.  Many things in life I understand this I don't. 

I have recently thought about my dogs and how well I know them and they know me.  They can sense when I am in a good mood or bad mood.  They know when I don't feel good.  I in turn know when the slightest thing is off with them. 

There is not a human around that is so happy to see me all the TIME!  I know my boyfriend loves me and is glad to see me but I don't think he is nearly as happy as Tigger, Daisy, and Spec are to see me every time I come home.  Even if it is only after 10 minutes they are ecstatic to see me!  When hanging around the house there is always one of them right near me.....literally.  If I have to go to the bathroom one of them follows me to the bathroom lies on the carpet looks at me.  Then a minute and its over I go back to the kitchen or living room and they follow. They do this like it is no big deal. I try to tell them I will be right back and there is no need to follow me everywhere but of course they don't listen or understand.  At home I am never alone.  I get more kisses from my dogs then any other human.  And if your not a dog person you would think that is gross but dog people understand! My work schedule and my day is planned around my dogs.  I plan their walks around my schedule.  I make sure I can come home during the day to spend time with them.  They are my children!

No wonder why it is so devastating to lose a dog.  In many cases your dog knows you better than humans and they are with you more than your human family.  They follow you, welcome you and love you unconditionally.  I have not lost a dog but I know someday the time will come when it does  I will be devastated.  I am not sure what my coping method will be but I can't imagine coming home and not having 3 wagging tails waiting for me.  In the meantime I am going to enjoy every minute I have with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment