Monday, February 20, 2012

Are you in denial? Is your dog overweight?

Obesity in the pet population is a serious problem.  It is just as much of an epidemic as obesity in the human population.  It also can cause many of the same problems that humans face.  The only difference is it is  not their fault.  If your pet is overweight it is YOUR fault.  You could be killing your pet slowly if you over feed and under exercise them. 

I am a busy person just like everyone else.  Exercise for me and my pets is top on my list of things to do each day.  Sometimes I combine the two and get my run done with my dogs.  You can do the same thing with a brisk walk.  If I am scheduled for a run that is too long for my dogs, then I bring them home and go back out to finish my run.  I want my pets to live a long healthy life.  Daily exercise and proper feeding is going to ensure I have done my part to extend their life.  Put these simple steps into your routine each day:
  • Feed two times a day.  Measure food and break it up into two feedings.  Consult your Vet for the amount you should feed your dog if they are currently overweight.  For normal weight pets you could check the bag to see the recommendations for your dog. 
  • Eliminate human food.  This is probably the biggest problem of excess calories for many of our furry friends.  It is hard when you see those sad eyes begging for food but you must skip giving them table scraps.
  • Give low calories treats such as carrots.  Save calories and money and give fido baby carrots for treats. 
  • Depending on your dogs size, breed, and weight a brisk walk of 20-60 minutes is essential each day.  If you are just beginning an exercise program then start with 20 minutes and slowly increase the time by about 10% each week.  Some dogs are fine with only 30 minutes each day but others may need more.
  • Add Fish Oil and a Multiple Vitamin to their food each day.  The fish oils will help their joints as you begin an exercise program.
  • Think about agility classes, dock diving classes, or swimming.  These are fun ways to get them moving.  Check your local area for classes.  You could also check with your Vet.
In no time at all you and your mutt may start to drop a few pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment